Ever since Bad Boy’s Janelle Monáe broke out on the scene with her electric stylings in 2010, music lovers across the world have been enamored with the energy she brings to the table. So, naturally, hooking up with the subtle yet soulful Miguel would create the perfect ying to Monáe yang. Keyword being “perfect.” This balance is achieved on her latest single, PrimeTime. The production, courtesy of album collaborators Chuck Lightening, Nate Wonder and Roman Gianarth, sounds as if it were inspired by the early-90s R&B classics, allowing the vocalists to do what they do best; produce a simultaneously relaxing and exciting duet. If Monáe has more in store for us like this before the September 10, release of Electric Lady, you’ll be able to count it as one of the year’s most highly-anticipated and well-received.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down (for mobile) to view Janelle Monáe’s Alan Ferguson-directed PrimeTime visual.
Written by Joven Haye on 10/11/13
Janelle Monae, mirroring the music she makes, is whimsical and intelligent, beautiful and perhaps most importantly, 100 percent authentic. Certain artists have the ability to weave their personalities into their music. Since...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sincerely Jane" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.