Is it possible to give someone too big of a compliment, even if they deserve it? For example, is it wrong to say that Janelle Monae’s newest feature Locked Inside, is reminiscent of some classic Jackson 5 songs? Maybe, maybe not. But who cares when you can break your hips dancing to it? With that, we have another head-noddin’, hip-breakin’, finger-snappin’ jam from Monae which has (I’m not afraid to say) a little J5 vibe going on thanks to some classy vocals from the singer herself and some upbeat, funky production from co-producer Dr. Nathaniel Irvin III. Depending on how strong your imagination is, Locked Inside may have you thinking about how awesome the ‘70s must have been, and for Monae, a child of the ‘80s, this song is quite an accomplishment. Everyone jumped on the Bobby Ray train when it pulled into the station, and it would be just as criminal to not do the same for Janelle. Pick up her album The ArchAndroid, available now, and keep it locked for a review of the album coming early next week.
Written by Matty K on 05/18/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sincerely Jane" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.