Janelle Monáe‘s sound may be far removed from David Bowie’s classic work but, as a musician with a penchant for strange fashion choices, genre-blurring experimentation and elaborate concept albums, she’s clearly indebted to the Thin White Duke. On her latest promo single, part of Pepsi’s Beats of the Beautiful Game and Now Is What You Make It ad campaigns, the songstress pays homage to the patron saint of pop eccentrics by covering his 1977 hit single, Heroes. Featuring a pulsing electronic instrumental by an unknown beatsmith, this version of the cut lacks the sweeping, cinematic feel of the original, but makes up for it in energy and panache. Released to celebrate the upcoming 2014 World Cup, which will take place in Brazil this June, this cover isn’t slated to appear on any forthcoming project. Those craving more from Monáe, however, can check out What Is Love?, her recently-featured contribution to the Rio 2 soundtrack.
Update: We have added the Alyssa Pankiw-directed visuals for Janelle’s Heroes single.
Written by richard on 05/12/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sincerely Jane" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.