Just as I predicted, the last track from five-foot musical dynamo Janelle Monae, the Big Boi-assisted Tight Rope, garnered mixed reviews from the Booth, with some feeling like her always eclectic style was just too left field, and others absolutely eating up the creative energy she served up. Well, don’t expect anything to change on her latest cut Cold War. Produced again by Nate “Rocket” Wonder, Chuck Lightning and Monae herself, Cold War mixes together an upbeat retro percussion line and layers in some spacey synths, crunching guitar and, of course, Monae’s powerhouse vocals, which take a slightly darker turn here than we’re used to. Add in an extended breakdown on the tail end and Cold War becomes the kind of track you have to listen to a few times to appreciate. Or maybe once is enough for some of you. We’ll find out soon. Love it or hate it, I guarantee you won’t be bored by Monae’s upcoming album The ArchAndroid, due to explode expectations on May 18.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/15/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sincerely Jane" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.