Just as I predicted, the last track from five-foot musical dynamo Janelle Monae, the Big Boi-assisted Tight Rope, garnered mixed reviews from the Booth, with some feeling like her always eclectic style was just too left field, and others absolutely eating up the creative energy she served up. Well, don’t expect anything to change on her latest cut Cold War. Produced again by Nate “Rocket” Wonder, Chuck Lightning and Monae herself, Cold War mixes together an upbeat retro percussion line and layers in some spacey synths, crunching guitar and, of course, Monae’s powerhouse vocals, which take a slightly darker turn here than we’re used to. Add in an extended breakdown on the tail end and Cold War becomes the kind of track you have to listen to a few times to appreciate. Or maybe once is enough for some of you. We’ll find out soon. Love it or hate it, I guarantee you won’t be bored by Monae’s upcoming album The ArchAndroid, due to explode expectations on May 18.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/15/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sincerely Jane" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.