Just as I predicted, the last track from five-foot musical dynamo Janelle Monae, the Big Boi-assisted Tight Rope, garnered mixed reviews from the Booth, with some feeling like her always eclectic style was just too left field, and others absolutely eating up the creative energy she served up. Well, don’t expect anything to change on her latest cut Cold War. Produced again by Nate “Rocket” Wonder, Chuck Lightning and Monae herself, Cold War mixes together an upbeat retro percussion line and layers in some spacey synths, crunching guitar and, of course, Monae’s powerhouse vocals, which take a slightly darker turn here than we’re used to. Add in an extended breakdown on the tail end and Cold War becomes the kind of track you have to listen to a few times to appreciate. Or maybe once is enough for some of you. We’ll find out soon. Love it or hate it, I guarantee you won’t be bored by Monae’s upcoming album The ArchAndroid, due to explode expectations on May 18.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/15/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sincerely Jane" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)