James Watts’ last feature found the Jersey repper falling in love with a Beautiful Monster, despite being fully aware that their affair could only end in heartache. With the ambivalence he’s feeling in his romantic life, it’s a good thing he can take refuge in his music, right? If only—as we learn on Only Friend, a newly-released standout off the artist’s latest Booth-hosted street release, James’ artistic hustle also offers plenty of opportunities for self-doubt to blossom. Over his own quietly intense production, Watts chronicles his struggles to dispel the dark cloud that’s been following him and make peace with the man in the mirror. CharlieRED frontman Rocki Evans complements the headliner’s introspective bars with soaring guest chorus and backing vocals. For more hot beats and introspective bars, check out James Watts’ Good/Grief EP, released in mid-November and available now for free digital download in the Booth.
Written by richard on 12/3/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Leak #12 (Jimmy Choo’s) ft. J.A.M.E.S. Watts" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.