James Watts’ last feature found the Jersey repper falling in love with a Beautiful Monster, despite being fully aware that their affair could only end in heartache. With the ambivalence he’s feeling in his romantic life, it’s a good thing he can take refuge in his music, right? If only—as we learn on Only Friend, a newly-released standout off the artist’s latest Booth-hosted street release, James’ artistic hustle also offers plenty of opportunities for self-doubt to blossom. Over his own quietly intense production, Watts chronicles his struggles to dispel the dark cloud that’s been following him and make peace with the man in the mirror. CharlieRED frontman Rocki Evans complements the headliner’s introspective bars with soaring guest chorus and backing vocals. For more hot beats and introspective bars, check out James Watts’ Good/Grief EP, released in mid-November and available now for free digital download in the Booth.
Written by richard on 12/3/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Leak #12 (Jimmy Choo’s) ft. J.A.M.E.S. Watts" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.