James Watts’ last feature found the Jersey repper falling in love with a Beautiful Monster, despite being fully aware that their affair could only end in heartache. With the ambivalence he’s feeling in his romantic life, it’s a good thing he can take refuge in his music, right? If only—as we learn on Only Friend, a newly-released standout off the artist’s latest Booth-hosted street release, James’ artistic hustle also offers plenty of opportunities for self-doubt to blossom. Over his own quietly intense production, Watts chronicles his struggles to dispel the dark cloud that’s been following him and make peace with the man in the mirror. CharlieRED frontman Rocki Evans complements the headliner’s introspective bars with soaring guest chorus and backing vocals. For more hot beats and introspective bars, check out James Watts’ Good/Grief EP, released in mid-November and available now for free digital download in the Booth.
Written by richard on 12/3/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Leak #12 (Jimmy Choo’s) ft. J.A.M.E.S. Watts" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.