James Watts’ last feature found the Jersey repper falling in love with a Beautiful Monster, despite being fully aware that their affair could only end in heartache. With the ambivalence he’s feeling in his romantic life, it’s a good thing he can take refuge in his music, right? If only—as we learn on Only Friend, a newly-released standout off the artist’s latest Booth-hosted street release, James’ artistic hustle also offers plenty of opportunities for self-doubt to blossom. Over his own quietly intense production, Watts chronicles his struggles to dispel the dark cloud that’s been following him and make peace with the man in the mirror. CharlieRED frontman Rocki Evans complements the headliner’s introspective bars with soaring guest chorus and backing vocals. For more hot beats and introspective bars, check out James Watts’ Good/Grief EP, released in mid-November and available now for free digital download in the Booth.
Written by richard on 12/3/12
Jersey emcee/producer James Watts has come together with The DJBooth to bring listeners his latest street release, the Good/Grief EP. An autobiographical project chronicling his activities during his recent hiatus from the...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Leak #12 (Jimmy Choo’s) ft. J.A.M.E.S. Watts" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.