Featured back in March, Smile won then-Booth newcomer (iam) James Wade high praise for his intelligent lyricism, but some weren’t feeling its unconventional, Chipmunk-sampled beat. Far from toning down his distinctive style, though, the Georgia native goes an equally left-of-center route on his latest single, Breaking Up. Here, producer Kajmir Royale‘s chirpy, chopped take on Neil Sedaka’s ‘60s hit Breaking Up Is Hard to Do sets an infectiously bouncy (if slightly chaotic) mood as Wade drops clever, refreshingly self-pity-free bars about the conflict between his artistic grind and his love life. Though he hates to let a girl down, he knows that getting ahead in the game is going to take up the lion’s share of his time and energy for the foreseeable future – thus, he’s perfectly willing to hold out till he finds a chick willing to grow with him during the process (that, and accompany him on his frequent smoke breaks). Does James Wade have all the pieces in place for an out-the-box hit? I’ll let you have the final say. Fans should keep it locked for news and tunes in the lead-up to the winter arrival of Wade’s latest full-length, The Ugly Show.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.