Featured back in March, Smile won then-Booth newcomer (iam) James Wade high praise for his intelligent lyricism, but some weren’t feeling its unconventional, Chipmunk-sampled beat. Far from toning down his distinctive style, though, the Georgia native goes an equally left-of-center route on his latest single, Breaking Up. Here, producer Kajmir Royale‘s chirpy, chopped take on Neil Sedaka’s ‘60s hit Breaking Up Is Hard to Do sets an infectiously bouncy (if slightly chaotic) mood as Wade drops clever, refreshingly self-pity-free bars about the conflict between his artistic grind and his love life. Though he hates to let a girl down, he knows that getting ahead in the game is going to take up the lion’s share of his time and energy for the foreseeable future – thus, he’s perfectly willing to hold out till he finds a chick willing to grow with him during the process (that, and accompany him on his frequent smoke breaks). Does James Wade have all the pieces in place for an out-the-box hit? I’ll let you have the final say. Fans should keep it locked for news and tunes in the lead-up to the winter arrival of Wade’s latest full-length, The Ugly Show.
Written by richard on 09/16/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.