From the title of Jakk Frost‘s latest feature, Chinese Starz, I assumed the Philly mainsay had been training with shurikens. (Yeah, I know, those are actually Japanese.) But the rhymes the Philly veteran delivers on this street-ready EP inclusion are actually concerned with a more prosaic type of projectile weapon. After a defiant intro referencing Kendrick‘s Control verse, Frost hits the ground running, barraging DJ Skizz‘s ominous synth instrumental with pop-referential gun talk (”I got so many gats they call me The Great Gatsby.”). On the back, he responds to those who may be tired of hearing about his firearm collection, appealing to the realities of life in the so-called City of Brotherly Love: “I know I sound redundant with this gun sh*t / But I’m from a city where n**gas with guns run sh*t.” Like what you’re hearing? You’ll be able to find this bullet-riddled cut and much more on Frost and Skizz’s Wolfman Jakk EP, coming this summer via BeardGang.
Written by richard on 04/7/14
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.