Don’t underestimate the production work of Jake One, a producer who has received critical acclaim for his work with A-list artists like G-Unit. After deciding to go for delf with his brand new White Van Music project, the Seattle, Washington beatsmith has gained a new wealth of fans, all of whom appreciate the sample-heavy cuts he serves up. On Hurt U, an unreleased record from the producer’s catalog, guest emcees Pharoahe Monch and Kardinal Offishall compete to see who can fit more words into a single bar. The tone and witticism that both rhymers exhibit over Jake’s Shaft-sampling, 70’s-fueled ditty will make people wonder why Hurt U ended up on the cutting room floor.
Written by Kevin L. Clark on 11/6/08
Rhymesayers/White Van Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Truth ft. Freeway & Brother Ali" (2008)
You Might Like...
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.