Jake One may be the best producer you’ve never heard of (if you have, feel free to skip the next three or four lines). The Seattle native has been perfecting his craft for the last decade or so, working with underground staples like De La Soul and MF Doom. Recently, he has begun to position himself on the cusp of the goldmine that is the mainstream, laying down tracks for E-40, The Game and G-Unit. His next project, however, removes him from the confines of an ambitious producer’s purgatory (a.k.a. liner notes) and into the spotlight. On October 7, Jake One will drop his debut album, White Van Music. The first single off the album, The Truth, stays true to his underground roots while establishing his newfound role as the feature artist, even if he doesn’t spit. Freeway and Brother Ali, however, do, so don’t miss it.
Written by Charlie E. on 09/3/08
Rhymesayers/White Van Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hurt U ft. Pharoahe Monch & Kardinal Offishall" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.