At a glance, you might not guess that Booth newcomer Jake Miller had a particularly hard-knock upbringing, but looks can be deceiving. In reality, the 18-year-old rap hopeful had to surmount formidable obstacles to make it to where he stands today, not least of them a woefully incomplete education. On new promo single Top Spot, he confesses, “My teachers never took the time to teach me to count / They told me one’s the only number I should worry about.” Miller’s innumeracy turned out to be a blessing in disguise—unable to conceive of anything less than first place, he’s all the more driven to achieve absolute greatness. Over a breezy, bell-laced beat by ID Labs and Mark (of Insane Sounds), the Panhandle State resident showcases mic skills to match his lofty ambitions, dropping verses packed from top to bottom with witty boasts and pop-referential punchlines (“Ron Burgundy, I’m kind of a big deal.”). Think Jake Miller’s got the goods to make it to the top? Then keep it locked—this cut isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but we’ll be sure to keep you posted on this this promising up-and-comer.
Written by richard on 06/20/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.