At a glance, you might not guess that Booth newcomer Jake Miller had a particularly hard-knock upbringing, but looks can be deceiving. In reality, the 18-year-old rap hopeful had to surmount formidable obstacles to make it to where he stands today, not least of them a woefully incomplete education. On new promo single Top Spot, he confesses, “My teachers never took the time to teach me to count / They told me one’s the only number I should worry about.” Miller’s innumeracy turned out to be a blessing in disguise—unable to conceive of anything less than first place, he’s all the more driven to achieve absolute greatness. Over a breezy, bell-laced beat by ID Labs and Mark (of Insane Sounds), the Panhandle State resident showcases mic skills to match his lofty ambitions, dropping verses packed from top to bottom with witty boasts and pop-referential punchlines (“Ron Burgundy, I’m kind of a big deal.”). Think Jake Miller’s got the goods to make it to the top? Then keep it locked—this cut isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but we’ll be sure to keep you posted on this this promising up-and-comer.
Written by richard on 06/20/11
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.