Musical superstars’ backgrounds are as varied as their work, but a common denominator among their diverse histories is the early sense of being a little… different. For many, the realization that one doesn’t quite fit with one’s peers is alienating—not so for Jake Miller. On new promo single Hey You!, the 18-year-old rap hopeful dismisses the idea of conforming to the pack, stating: ”I’d rather live a life that normal people would find surreal.” Just a Game beat crew The Kickdrums keep it light and sunny on the production tip, blending bouncy organ chords with a leisurely rhythm section, and Miler comes with good-humored rhymes to match. Cheery vibe or no, though, the mic skills Miller showcases here are dead serious. Staring at a conversational, the Panhandle State native builds to a flurry of double-time rhymes that puts many established spitters to shame. If you’re digging it, why not take the artist’s advice and Tweet “Jake Miller just killed it” using the handy button below? Oh, and be sure to keep your browsers locked on DJBooth.net for all the latest news and tunes from this promising up-and-comer.
Written by richard on 07/7/11
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.