Musical superstars’ backgrounds are as varied as their work, but a common denominator among their diverse histories is the early sense of being a little… different. For many, the realization that one doesn’t quite fit with one’s peers is alienating—not so for Jake Miller. On new promo single Hey You!, the 18-year-old rap hopeful dismisses the idea of conforming to the pack, stating: ”I’d rather live a life that normal people would find surreal.” Just a Game beat crew The Kickdrums keep it light and sunny on the production tip, blending bouncy organ chords with a leisurely rhythm section, and Miler comes with good-humored rhymes to match. Cheery vibe or no, though, the mic skills Miller showcases here are dead serious. Staring at a conversational, the Panhandle State native builds to a flurry of double-time rhymes that puts many established spitters to shame. If you’re digging it, why not take the artist’s advice and Tweet “Jake Miller just killed it” using the handy button below? Oh, and be sure to keep your browsers locked on DJBooth.net for all the latest news and tunes from this promising up-and-comer.
Written by richard on 07/7/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.