Musical superstars’ backgrounds are as varied as their work, but a common denominator among their diverse histories is the early sense of being a little… different. For many, the realization that one doesn’t quite fit with one’s peers is alienating—not so for Jake Miller. On new promo single Hey You!, the 18-year-old rap hopeful dismisses the idea of conforming to the pack, stating: ”I’d rather live a life that normal people would find surreal.” Just a Game beat crew The Kickdrums keep it light and sunny on the production tip, blending bouncy organ chords with a leisurely rhythm section, and Miler comes with good-humored rhymes to match. Cheery vibe or no, though, the mic skills Miller showcases here are dead serious. Staring at a conversational, the Panhandle State native builds to a flurry of double-time rhymes that puts many established spitters to shame. If you’re digging it, why not take the artist’s advice and Tweet “Jake Miller just killed it” using the handy button below? Oh, and be sure to keep your browsers locked on DJBooth.net for all the latest news and tunes from this promising up-and-comer.
Written by richard on 07/7/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.