I’m sure it’s possible to sound bad flowing over a Marvin Gaye sample – hell, ask me to drop a freestyle over it and I guarantee it will be bad – but, assuming a baseline level of competence, it’s tough to mess up too egregiously. And with an emcee as talented as Booth newcomer Jake Broido on the mic, greatness is a likely outcome. Similar in concept to the Fat Joe joint of the same name (but unique in execution), new single Listen Baby finds the 19-year-old University of Arizona freshman showcasing his skills on both sides of the boards, flipping Gaye’s version of Ain’t No Mountain High Enough into a synth-laced backdrop for some candid reflections on the topic of relationships; though the emcee confesses a weakness to the fairer sex (“I fall hard, I fall frequent, I save a parachute for parties on the weekend.”), there’s one who will always have his heart on lock – unfortunately, it’s the one who just walked out the door. If Broido’s post-breakup ruminations leave you intrigued, you can look forward to hearing all the reasons why White Girls Are Crazy on his latest full-length, coming soon.
Written by richard on 12/13/10
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.