I’m sure it’s possible to sound bad flowing over a Marvin Gaye sample – hell, ask me to drop a freestyle over it and I guarantee it will be bad – but, assuming a baseline level of competence, it’s tough to mess up too egregiously. And with an emcee as talented as Booth newcomer Jake Broido on the mic, greatness is a likely outcome. Similar in concept to the Fat Joe joint of the same name (but unique in execution), new single Listen Baby finds the 19-year-old University of Arizona freshman showcasing his skills on both sides of the boards, flipping Gaye’s version of Ain’t No Mountain High Enough into a synth-laced backdrop for some candid reflections on the topic of relationships; though the emcee confesses a weakness to the fairer sex (“I fall hard, I fall frequent, I save a parachute for parties on the weekend.”), there’s one who will always have his heart on lock – unfortunately, it’s the one who just walked out the door. If Broido’s post-breakup ruminations leave you intrigued, you can look forward to hearing all the reasons why White Girls Are Crazy on his latest full-length, coming soon.
Written by richard on 12/13/10
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.