I’m sure it’s possible to sound bad flowing over a Marvin Gaye sample – hell, ask me to drop a freestyle over it and I guarantee it will be bad – but, assuming a baseline level of competence, it’s tough to mess up too egregiously. And with an emcee as talented as Booth newcomer Jake Broido on the mic, greatness is a likely outcome. Similar in concept to the Fat Joe joint of the same name (but unique in execution), new single Listen Baby finds the 19-year-old University of Arizona freshman showcasing his skills on both sides of the boards, flipping Gaye’s version of Ain’t No Mountain High Enough into a synth-laced backdrop for some candid reflections on the topic of relationships; though the emcee confesses a weakness to the fairer sex (“I fall hard, I fall frequent, I save a parachute for parties on the weekend.”), there’s one who will always have his heart on lock – unfortunately, it’s the one who just walked out the door. If Broido’s post-breakup ruminations leave you intrigued, you can look forward to hearing all the reasons why White Girls Are Crazy on his latest full-length, coming soon.
Written by richard on 12/13/10
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.