In recent years, Barbados has become known as a hotbed for up-and-coming female pop/R&B talent—Rihanna and Shontelle have both “made it” and Livvi Franc is well on her way. Now, however, the Capitol Records brass have decided to buck the trend established by the trend Def Jam, Universal Motown, and Jive and sign a male Bajan artist! Enter Jaicko (pronounced Jay-ko), a 17-year-old immigrant determined to win his own piece of the American Dream. Oh Yeah!, the artist’s Booth debut, is the latest in a long line of “phrase-centered” songs—the track finds him applying the titular exclamation to every event in his typical day, from first rolling of out bed to crashing with a fine young lady in the evening. Lil’ Eddie is no slouch on the songwriting tip, but the track’s highlight comes courtesy of The Stereotypes, whose xylophone-driven beat just screams “late summer anthem!” Can Jaicko win his debut album a spot on Capitol‘s calendar and make his musical dreams a reality? Here’s hoping this cut’s title holds the answer.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fast Forward" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- King Mez - Long Live the King
- Freeway x Girl Talk - Broken Ankles EP
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.