Last August, Jahzel made his first appearance on our pages with Inner City Kid, a lyrical reflection on the big dreams that spurred him to pick up the mic. If you listened between the lines, though, it was clear that his ambitions weren’t just informed by his own fantasies of superstardom. On Chapters, premiering in the Booth as the latest single off his next studio album, the Chi-Town representative illuminates the deeper motivations behind his hustle—including his desire to do his friends and family proud and, even more importantly, his determination to make good use of the life God gave him. Tone P reprises his role as producer from the aforementioned cut, backing Jahzel’s heartfelt bars with a tuneful (and oddly familiar—anyone ID the source for me?) piano loop. Has this reflective cut left you craving more? Then stay tuned for more fresh song releases leading up to the July 2, arrival of Jahzel’s forthcoming full-length, In God’s Image.
Written by richard on 05/30/13
Submit your Rating
The Black Key Collective
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Inner City Kid" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.