What, y’all didn’t get the memo about Jah C and Jaison Spain‘s habit of getting it in at all hours of the night and day? You haven’t even been formally introduced? Damn, then I’ve got a lot of ground to cover—or I would, if the Brooklyn-born, Harlem-bred rapper/producer and Harlem singer/songwriter/producer’s latest single didn’t do most of the heavy lifting for me. That is to say, I Thought You Knew tells you just about everything you need to know about their approach, which revolves around fresh, old-school grooves and gimmick-free displays of lyrical prowess. Jah handles production duties, serving up a head-nodding beat interpolated from The Incredible Bongo Band’s Apache and Big Daddy Kane’s Warm It Up, Kane to back his own tighly-wound, braggadocious bars as well as those of Big Apple trio Sleepwalkas (Ciph, Kassa Gaines and Vexed Lo). Spain tops the record off with the requisite dose of smoothness, lacing the beat with a laid-back chorus in addition to delivering soulfully understated backing vocals throughout. Like what you’re hearing? More scorching grooves and high-caliber rhymes await on Jah C and Jaison Spain’s Conception LP, scheduled to hit record stores and online retailers September 2, via Soulspazm Records.
Written by richard on 08/22/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.