Unable to Watch this Youtube Video? Click here to play in Soundcloud instead.
To many artists, the word “box” represents something that curtails one’s Freedom. Thus, they strive to create sounds that are “out of the box,” while striving against label execs’ efforts to put them in one. For newcomer Jade, its connotations are very different. The follow-up to her debut feature, whose title I cleverly worked into the opening sentence, this freshly-minted single sees her celebrating the pleasurable sensations and feelings of power she draws from her “itty bitty little Brown Box.” As you may have surmised, she’s not talking about the variety you can pick up at your local U-Haul or UPS Store. The singer’s confident, sexually-assertive verses and chorus come backed a mellow, reggae-inflected beat courtesy of The Page Brothers. The album to which this record is attached, Jaded, currently lacks a drop date, but those who like what they’re hearing can cop the single now via iTunes.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down (for mobile) to view Jade’s Jordan Riggs-directed Brown Box visual.
Written by richard on 06/19/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.