Ever since the Notorious B.I.G. was gunned down on March 9, 1997, countless hip-hop artists have created their own homages to the late great. The trend began with his boss‘s #1 hit, I’ll Be Missing You, and will come to its climax with the January 16 release of long-awaited biopic Notorious. Various fans (and even Biggie’s mother, Voletta Wallace), however, believe that many of these “tributes” are released with an eye on profit rather than to honor the legendary rapper. Whatever your take, there’s no denying the heartfelt sincerity Biggie’s former Bad Boy labelmate Jadakiss exhibits in his own Letter to B.I.G.. On the record, J-to-the-Muah expresses his frustrations over the demise of Junior M.A.F.I.A., gives an update on B.I.G.‘s two children (15-year old daughter T’yanna and 12-year old son Christopher Jordan “CJ”), and even includes background vocals by the emcee’s widow, Faith Evans. Set to appear on the January 13 release of the Notorious soundtrack as well as Jadakiss’ junior album, The Last Kiss (due out February 10), Letter to B.I.G. is a rare gem in the vast sea of Biggie tributes.
Written by Burmy on 01/5/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"It's A Problem" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.