Ever since the Notorious B.I.G. was gunned down on March 9, 1997, countless hip-hop artists have created their own homages to the late great. The trend began with his boss‘s #1 hit, I’ll Be Missing You, and will come to its climax with the January 16 release of long-awaited biopic Notorious. Various fans (and even Biggie’s mother, Voletta Wallace), however, believe that many of these “tributes” are released with an eye on profit rather than to honor the legendary rapper. Whatever your take, there’s no denying the heartfelt sincerity Biggie’s former Bad Boy labelmate Jadakiss exhibits in his own Letter to B.I.G.. On the record, J-to-the-Muah expresses his frustrations over the demise of Junior M.A.F.I.A., gives an update on B.I.G.‘s two children (15-year old daughter T’yanna and 12-year old son Christopher Jordan “CJ”), and even includes background vocals by the emcee’s widow, Faith Evans. Set to appear on the January 13 release of the Notorious soundtrack as well as Jadakiss’ junior album, The Last Kiss (due out February 10), Letter to B.I.G. is a rare gem in the vast sea of Biggie tributes.
Written by Burmy on 01/5/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"It's A Problem" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.