Absent from our pages since dropping off left-field banger Cat Gotcha Tongue back in December 2012, buzzmaking singer/producer JacK Magma finally returns to kick off his 2013 with freshly-minted EP single SuperPowers. Initially, it seems as if the artist has reined in the aforementioned joint’s chaotic style to achieve a slightly more streamlined electro-funk sound. After three-and-a-half minutes of eccentrically catchy, ‘80s-informed pop, though, the record takes a sharp turn from the weird, segueing from a spacey, one minute-plus guitar solo into a seemingly-unrelated hip-hop groove. The end result sounds a bit like three different songs compressed into one. I’ll let y’all decide whether that’s a good thing, but it certainly testifies to Magma’s restless creativity. If this fractured pop gem has left you craving more, watch our pages for the latest on his An Electric Purple EP, which has yet to receive a solid drop date.
Written by richard on 06/24/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Cat Gotcha Tongue" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)