Absent from our pages since dropping off left-field banger Cat Gotcha Tongue back in December 2012, buzzmaking singer/producer JacK Magma finally returns to kick off his 2013 with freshly-minted EP single SuperPowers. Initially, it seems as if the artist has reined in the aforementioned joint’s chaotic style to achieve a slightly more streamlined electro-funk sound. After three-and-a-half minutes of eccentrically catchy, ‘80s-informed pop, though, the record takes a sharp turn from the weird, segueing from a spacey, one minute-plus guitar solo into a seemingly-unrelated hip-hop groove. The end result sounds a bit like three different songs compressed into one. I’ll let y’all decide whether that’s a good thing, but it certainly testifies to Magma’s restless creativity. If this fractured pop gem has left you craving more, watch our pages for the latest on his An Electric Purple EP, which has yet to receive a solid drop date.
Written by richard on 06/24/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Cat Gotcha Tongue" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Young Thug ft. Lil Wayne - Take Kare
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.