OK, raise your hand if you saw the title of JacK Magma‘s first Booth feature, along with the salacious cover art, and assumed you were in for a song about oral sex. (You can’t see me, but my hand is up.) In reality, “Cat Gotcha Tongue” simply refers to being at a loss for words—which happens to be a likely reaction to the record itself. Though the artist’s breathy vocals and romantically wounded lyrics aren’t out the ordinary, the production is another story. A chaotic patchwork of synths, music-box, bells, exotic percussion, Chipmunk-pitched voices, diabolical laughter and other harder-to-identify sampled snippets, the instrumental threatens to overwhelm the melody at times. The overall effect, however, is strangely ear-pleasing. You get the final call: has JacK Magma’s aural experimentation paid off? If your interest’s piqued, stay tuned for more innovative song releases leading up to the 2013 arrival of the artist’s debut project, the An Electric Purple EP.
Written by richard on 12/12/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.