OK, raise your hand if you saw the title of JacK Magma‘s first Booth feature, along with the salacious cover art, and assumed you were in for a song about oral sex. (You can’t see me, but my hand is up.) In reality, “Cat Gotcha Tongue” simply refers to being at a loss for words—which happens to be a likely reaction to the record itself. Though the artist’s breathy vocals and romantically wounded lyrics aren’t out the ordinary, the production is another story. A chaotic patchwork of synths, music-box, bells, exotic percussion, Chipmunk-pitched voices, diabolical laughter and other harder-to-identify sampled snippets, the instrumental threatens to overwhelm the melody at times. The overall effect, however, is strangely ear-pleasing. You get the final call: has JacK Magma’s aural experimentation paid off? If your interest’s piqued, stay tuned for more innovative song releases leading up to the 2013 arrival of the artist’s debut project, the An Electric Purple EP.
Written by richard on 12/12/12
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.