Jabee put underrepresented Oklahoma City on the hip-hop map with his last project, Everything Was Beautiful And Nothing Hurt. And while he poured a lot of energy into the release, he still has a few cards up his sleeve to keep his buzz alive. One such card is the previously unreleased Out Of Time, an introspective record that cuts deep and gets very personal. Jabee finds himself second guessing his journey thus far as he reminisces about the hardships he has experienced along the way. It’s guest Mr MFN eXquire‘s second verse, however, that steals the show. eXquire shows extreme vulnerability, talking about his label woes (”My label got no clue just what to do with me/They think I’m Odd Future when I’m Isaac Hayes.”) and vividly detailing previous suicide attempts. For a rapper known for his outlandish personality, it is a refreshing change of pace. Adding to the song’s tension are Kadence‘s delicate piano keys and the harmonies of journeyman rapper Kosha Dillz, who plays a supporting role on the chorus. It is amazing to think that Out Of Time did not make it onto Everything Was Beautiful And Nothing Hurt, but maybe that is a good thing? Isolated from the album’s release, the song gets an opportunity to stand alone, which it does as a poignant reminder for how difficult it is to remain sane in the rap game.
Written by Dharmic X on 03/18/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Blessing" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.