How could a record be better than up-and-coming Oklahoma City emcee JABEE’s last Booth approved effort Better? You’ll just have to use your Imagination. (Shout out to me for the puns.) Making its worldwide premiere right here, right now, Imagination brings back singer Carlitta Durand for yet another beautiful hook (seriously, we need a solo track from her) for an ode to making your dreams a reality. With a theme like that it’s only fitting that producer Ira G. chose to use a Kanye West vocal sample to weave in and out of the pounding yet oddly serene beat. Lyrically, JABEE both looks back at where he’s come – apparently Selena wouldn’t even give him the time of day – and more importantly, envisions the future laying spread out before him: “If I can dream it I can make it, see it I can take it.” If you’re digging this dopely inspirational jam, I can only imagine how much you’ll enjoy JABEE’s upcoming “it’s not a mixtape, it’s an album” Lucky Me, co-presented by IM King and dropping on DJBooth November 3.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/19/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"A Blessing" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.