For those who haven’t been following Ja Rule‘s legal struggles since last he stepped into the Booth, the Big Apple street vet’s two-year prison sentence on drug and gun charges (begun on June 8) has ballooned to four years and four months after he was charged with tax evasion in July. It’s a harsh blow, to be sure, but the artist isn’t simply going to sit and feel sorry for himself—or, more specifically, he’s gonna channel that frustration into his in-progress musical comeback. Spun a Web, the latest leak off Ja Rule’s forthcoming street album, finds succinctly-named beatsmith 7 flipping a pensive piano sample from Coldplay’sTrouble as the emcee struggles to come to terms with a life bereft of all the familiar amenities: “No cribs, no cars, no champagne, no bright lights, no b*tches, no b*tch n*ggas…” Though Ja Rule insists that those who haven’t walked in his shoes can’t pass judgment on his actions, the record is fair game—your opinions, Booth readers? If you appreciate this emotionally-charged cut, keep it locked for release details on Pre PIL2, the yet-unscheduled prelude to Rule’s (also unscheduled) seventh LP, Pain Is Love 2.
Written by richard on 10/3/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Free ft. Ashley Joi" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.