When he gave me this track, Nathan S. asked, “Will Ja ever be able to stage a comeback?” Nah, I don’t think so. I mean, is Ja Rule even really relevant at this point? Does anyone care if he comes out with new music anymore? I’m not so sure a lot of people do, and this new single, Man Down doesn’t exactly do much to spark much renewed interest. Lyrically, Ja Rule hasn’t developed much; in fact he may have regressed- though he wasn’t a lyrical genius to begin with anyway. The instrumentation is handled by Ron Browz, who uses a looping production style eerily similar to Swizz Beatz that ultimately proves to be solid. The song comes off average as a whole; it won’t take Rule from the NY Mets bullpen to the Yankees, but it won’t ship the emcee down to Single A ball either. For those interested, Man Is Down can be found on Ja Rule’s upcoming, independently released album, Renaissance Project, which has yet to be given a release date.
Written by Jon Garcia on 07/28/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.