With his upcoming release The Mirror, rap powerhouse Ja Rule will be eight albums deep in a career spanning over ten years. Unfortunately, it seems apparent that musical growth eludes Mr. Atkins after lending an ear to his new, yet formulaic, single Free. The subject matter of the song is cliché to say the least (“If you truly love something you should set it free. And if it comes back to you it’s truly yours”).
Over a melodic piano loving beat Ja flows as if he were a Bone-Thug that got lost at the Crossroads. With that said, the real upside to this otherwise textbook Ja Rule joint is the angelic loveliness that is Ashley Joi’s voice! The Detroit-bred songstress brought the harmony that Ja, even with his newly adopted rapping style, couldn’t properly execute. Suppose as one star becomes listless another can create its own spotlight.
Written by Lochy N. on 01/26/07
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Style On 'Em" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)