With his upcoming release The Mirror, rap powerhouse Ja Rule will be eight albums deep in a career spanning over ten years. Unfortunately, it seems apparent that musical growth eludes Mr. Atkins after lending an ear to his new, yet formulaic, single Free. The subject matter of the song is cliché to say the least (“If you truly love something you should set it free. And if it comes back to you it’s truly yours”).
Over a melodic piano loving beat Ja flows as if he were a Bone-Thug that got lost at the Crossroads. With that said, the real upside to this otherwise textbook Ja Rule joint is the angelic loveliness that is Ashley Joi’s voice! The Detroit-bred songstress brought the harmony that Ja, even with his newly adopted rapping style, couldn’t properly execute. Suppose as one star becomes listless another can create its own spotlight.
Written by Lochy N. on 01/26/07
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Style On 'Em" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.