With Thunder in Paradise, featured earlier this week, Brown Bag All-Stars member Soul Khan proved that, with or without his reader-acclaimed crew, he’s a force to be reckoned with. Today, fellow Intoxicated Gentleman J57 makes his own entrance into the spotlight with Lights Out, the first leak off his debut solo album. Over his own cinematically gritty sampled production (featuring cuts by DeeJay Element), J spits aggressive bars jam-packed with witty wordplay: “Make you think I did three lines like a haiku / Ain’t no Condoleeza Rice, ain’t lovin’ that white(,) dude…” Brooklyn-based Booth fave Skyzoo handles guest duties, lacing the track’s back end with his own brand of razor-sharp lyrical imagery. One more reason to keep your eye on the Brown Bag All-Stars and each of the crew’s members individually, Lights Out is just one of the fresh underground jams to be found on the emcee’s Digital Society LP, set for digital-only release this Friday via Juno Award-winning label Balance Records.
Written by richard on 08/11/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.