I don’t know why people think this hip-hop sh*t is so complicated. Forget the co-signs and viral marketing campaigns and hit singles. It’s been the same since Kool Herc was spinning block parties; take a dope beat and some dope emcees and (surprise, surprise) you’ve got some dope hip-hop. Clearly The DJBooth favorite J57 believes in that same less is more philosophy too, as evidenced on new release Do Earth. Behind the boards the Brown Bag All-Star member layers some classic percussion over a somber piano melody to head-nodding effect, giving Tanya Morgan member Von Pea a platform to lyrically launch from, delivering bars that are “headed for the kind of success that comes with a bunch of backlash.” From there it’s up to Kooley High alum Charlie Smarts to close things out, and close he does, dropping more of the off-the-map references we’ve come to expect from Smarts (word to cashews). Top it all off with vocals from Andrew Thomas and Jefferson Price and you’ve got the perfect way to build some much deserved hype for J57’s forthcoming project, Brown Bag AllStars Present J57: 2057 EP, coming soon.
Written by Nathan S. on 11/9/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lights Out Pt. Zero" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.