While we featured When I Get There, a joint effort with Brown Bag colleague Koncept, earlier this month, it’s Been a Long Time since we heard J57 headline a cut on his lonesome. (His last solo feature, Half Zombie, hit our front page way back in December of 2012.) Today, the emcee and producer finally returns to the spotlight with this cut, single numero uno off a forthcoming EP. West Coast phenom Exile mans the mixing boards, layering guitar loops and vocal samples over a boom-bap rhythm section as the artist delivers verses jam-packed with eclectic pop culture references. On the back, a snippet of Rakim‘s I Know You Got Soul reveals the origin of the record’s title. Complete with a sleepy vocal hook by ATR, this joint is just one of many fresh cuts set for inclusion on J57’s Wax Aesthetic EP, coming soon via Balanced Records.
Written by richard on 01/15/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lights Out Pt. Zero" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)