While we featured When I Get There, a joint effort with Brown Bag colleague Koncept, earlier this month, it’s Been a Long Time since we heard J57 headline a cut on his lonesome. (His last solo feature, Half Zombie, hit our front page way back in December of 2012.) Today, the emcee and producer finally returns to the spotlight with this cut, single numero uno off a forthcoming EP. West Coast phenom Exile mans the mixing boards, layering guitar loops and vocal samples over a boom-bap rhythm section as the artist delivers verses jam-packed with eclectic pop culture references. On the back, a snippet of Rakim‘s I Know You Got Soul reveals the origin of the record’s title. Complete with a sleepy vocal hook by ATR, this joint is just one of many fresh cuts set for inclusion on J57’s Wax Aesthetic EP, coming soon via Balanced Records.
Written by richard on 01/15/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lights Out Pt. Zero" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.