If you tuned in for J.A.M.E.S. Watts’ Booth debut, it should come as no surprise that the triple-threat emcee/singer/producer’s been tapped to contribute to Three/21 Media‘s Inside A Change mixtape, a project inspired by Rik Cordero’s forthcoming feature film of the same name. On You’re My Life, the Jersey up-and-comer takes the cinematic style he showcased on A Better Tomorrow even further; this time around, he elects to show rather than telling, speaking from the perspective of the urban drama’s central characters. As you might expect, this approach leaves the story’s specifics hazy, but in terms of emotional impact this cut is right on target—few will find themselves unable to relate to Watts’ reflective rhymes. Frank G‘s subdued, piano-laced production and impassioned hook vocals heighten the effect yet further, and the end result will leave few heartstrings un-tugged. The mixtape’s release date has yet to be announced, but readers intrigued by this record’s lyrical themes will want to check out the motion picture, premiering this July.
Written by richard on 06/3/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Leak #12 (Jimmy Choo’s) ft. J.A.M.E.S. Watts" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.