“A hungry man is an angry man.” may be the wisest words ever sung or spoken; in addition to being literally accurate (in my case, anyways), that adage neatly expresses a social truth that far too few acknowledge: when people can’t obtain the bare necessities through honest means, violent crime and unrest are inevitable. This update of Bob Marley‘s Them Belly Full, included on a newly-released digital preview of J. Period & K’naan‘s forthcoming remix EP, The Messengers (a project discussed in K’naan’s recent video interview with DJ Z), finds the renowned DJ and the Somali-Canadian emcee joining forces with Kardinal Offishall, Steele, and West African hip-hop artist Bajah to bring that sage message to today’s listeners (and serve up a little wordplay-driven braggadocio along the way). If you’re digging this reimagining of a reggae classic, stay tuned—in addition to the freely-downloadable preview released today, K’naan and J.Period will be dropping digital leaks featuring remixes of cuts by Fela Kuti, Bob Marley, and Bob Dylan (in that order) on the first three Tuesdays of September, before releasing the entire project, complete with bonus tracks, on Sept. 22.
Written by richard on 08/19/09
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.