When you’re dealing with the legacy of a late musical legend, there’s always the lingering, often unanswerable question of, “Is this what he (or she) would have wanted?” Though iconic producer J. Dilla‘s unreleased catalog has been the subject of considerable controversy, the forthcoming Jay Stay Paid raises no such ethical dilemmas; executive produced by the revered beatsmith’s own mother, Maureen Yancey, and respected colleague Pete Rock, the project couldn’t be in better hands. This new cut finds The Roots’ Black Thought (one of a few guest features on the largely instrumental album) delivering a lyrical Reality Check; as the emcee skewers the trash-TV icons who distract so many Americans from the social, economic, and political injustices occurring at home and abroad, his flow proves a pitch-perfect complement to Dilla’s propulsive, guitar-sampling beat. In addition to pleasing the producer’s longtime fans, the combination should hook newcomers in anticipation of the album’s June 2nd release.
Listen to More: J Dilla Written by richard
Yancey Media Group, LLC
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Make It Fast" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.