When you’re dealing with the legacy of a late musical legend, there’s always the lingering, often unanswerable question of, “Is this what he (or she) would have wanted?” Though iconic producer J. Dilla‘s unreleased catalog has been the subject of considerable controversy, the forthcoming Jay Stay Paid raises no such ethical dilemmas; executive produced by the revered beatsmith’s own mother, Maureen Yancey, and respected colleague Pete Rock, the project couldn’t be in better hands. This new cut finds The Roots’ Black Thought (one of a few guest features on the largely instrumental album) delivering a lyrical Reality Check; as the emcee skewers the trash-TV icons who distract so many Americans from the social, economic, and political injustices occurring at home and abroad, his flow proves a pitch-perfect complement to Dilla’s propulsive, guitar-sampling beat. In addition to pleasing the producer’s longtime fans, the combination should hook newcomers in anticipation of the album’s June 2nd release.
Listen to More: J Dilla
Written by richard on 04/19/09
Submit your Rating
Yancey Media Group, LLC
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Make It Fast" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.