After rocking out to Lights Please and listening to DJ Z’s recent interview with the up-and-coming J. Cole, I was impressed by the young Roc Nation signee’s intelligence and maturity, but if I could extend him any bit of advice, it would be to avoid naming tracks Unabomber; you know, considering that the Unabomber was a crazy white guy with a beard who lived in a cabin and sent people mail bombs. But questionable title choices aside, Unabomber is actually a damn good track, a hip-hop catharsis that allows Cole to release his frustration with all the fools in his path over some melodically rocking production from Cole himself. And for any Cole fans out there concerned about his mental health, remain calm. As he says himself, “Don’t worry, I’m just ventin, the late night thoughts of a n**ga on a mission.” Unabomber isn’t currently attached to any album, but with building buzz like this, it’s only a matter of time until Hova sets Cole loose on the world with a debut album.
Written by Nathan S. on 11/1/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.