After rocking out to Lights Please and listening to DJ Z’s recent interview with the up-and-coming J. Cole, I was impressed by the young Roc Nation signee’s intelligence and maturity, but if I could extend him any bit of advice, it would be to avoid naming tracks Unabomber; you know, considering that the Unabomber was a crazy white guy with a beard who lived in a cabin and sent people mail bombs. But questionable title choices aside, Unabomber is actually a damn good track, a hip-hop catharsis that allows Cole to release his frustration with all the fools in his path over some melodically rocking production from Cole himself. And for any Cole fans out there concerned about his mental health, remain calm. As he says himself, “Don’t worry, I’m just ventin, the late night thoughts of a n**ga on a mission.” Unabomber isn’t currently attached to any album, but with building buzz like this, it’s only a matter of time until Hova sets Cole loose on the world with a debut album.
Listen to More: J. Cole
Written by Nathan S. on 11/1/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)