After rocking out to Lights Please and listening to DJ Z’s recent interview with the up-and-coming J. Cole, I was impressed by the young Roc Nation signee’s intelligence and maturity, but if I could extend him any bit of advice, it would be to avoid naming tracks Unabomber; you know, considering that the Unabomber was a crazy white guy with a beard who lived in a cabin and sent people mail bombs. But questionable title choices aside, Unabomber is actually a damn good track, a hip-hop catharsis that allows Cole to release his frustration with all the fools in his path over some melodically rocking production from Cole himself. And for any Cole fans out there concerned about his mental health, remain calm. As he says himself, “Don’t worry, I’m just ventin, the late night thoughts of a n**ga on a mission.” Unabomber isn’t currently attached to any album, but with building buzz like this, it’s only a matter of time until Hova sets Cole loose on the world with a debut album.
Written by Nathan S. on 11/1/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.