There aren’t many certainties in life (you pay taxes, you die), but I can almost guarantee you that the DJBooth will respond to any new music put out by the future of Roc Nation’s rap empire J. Cole like Fat Joe responds to a plate of tacos (they eat it up…get it?...never mind). So when the two forces combine, that’s about as certain as it gets. On the remix to Cole’s recent cut Lights, Please, XV (aka Vizzy) replaces J. Cole’s original heavily percussive beat with brighter, more soulful boardwork, giving J. Cole’s rhymes about a girl who’s too dumb for him to truly fall in love with (but not to f**k) the air of a love song filled with longing and regret. Personally, I’m liking the remix much better; it’s amazing how a different beat can transform a track’s feel, even if the lyrics are unchanged. Lights, Please (Vizzy Remix) isn’t part of an official project, and Hova and company still haven’t given Cole’s debut album a solid name or release date, but frankly it’s only a matter of time.
Written by Nathan S. on 11/22/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Young Thug ft. Lil Wayne - Take Kare
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Logic - Buried Alive
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.