There aren’t many certainties in life (you pay taxes, you die), but I can almost guarantee you that the DJBooth will respond to any new music put out by the future of Roc Nation’s rap empire J. Cole like Fat Joe responds to a plate of tacos (they eat it up…get it?...never mind). So when the two forces combine, that’s about as certain as it gets. On the remix to Cole’s recent cut Lights, Please, XV (aka Vizzy) replaces J. Cole’s original heavily percussive beat with brighter, more soulful boardwork, giving J. Cole’s rhymes about a girl who’s too dumb for him to truly fall in love with (but not to f**k) the air of a love song filled with longing and regret. Personally, I’m liking the remix much better; it’s amazing how a different beat can transform a track’s feel, even if the lyrics are unchanged. Lights, Please (Vizzy Remix) isn’t part of an official project, and Hova and company still haven’t given Cole’s debut album a solid name or release date, but frankly it’s only a matter of time.
Listen to More: J. Cole Written by Nathan S.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.