We’ve all been there. You’ve got a girlfriend or boyfriend who’s dumber than a can of paint, but the sex is so good you just can’t seem to let ‘em go. Well J Cole can relate. Having apparently recovered from his Heartache, the North Carolina native is back with his previously leaked, now officially mastered debut single Lights Please. While a bass-thumping beat from producer The Jam bumps in the background, J Cole shows that he’s just as comfortable spitting sexual obscenities as he is dropping clever wordplay (his “She gave a ni**a mad brain, something like The Wiz” line had me laughing out loud). Fans will have to wait a while to find out if that kind of versatility behind the mic will translate into sales. J Cole’s as-yet untitled debut album is currently slated to drop next summer as part of Hova’s new Roc Nation movement.
Written by Nathan S. on 10/1/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.