We’ve all been there. You’ve got a girlfriend or boyfriend who’s dumber than a can of paint, but the sex is so good you just can’t seem to let ‘em go. Well J Cole can relate. Having apparently recovered from his Heartache, the North Carolina native is back with his previously leaked, now officially mastered debut single Lights Please. While a bass-thumping beat from producer The Jam bumps in the background, J Cole shows that he’s just as comfortable spitting sexual obscenities as he is dropping clever wordplay (his “She gave a ni**a mad brain, something like The Wiz” line had me laughing out loud). Fans will have to wait a while to find out if that kind of versatility behind the mic will translate into sales. J Cole’s as-yet untitled debut album is currently slated to drop next summer as part of Hova’s new Roc Nation movement.
Listen to More: J. Cole Written by Nathan S.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.