We’ve all been there. You’ve got a girlfriend or boyfriend who’s dumber than a can of paint, but the sex is so good you just can’t seem to let ‘em go. Well J Cole can relate. Having apparently recovered from his Heartache, the North Carolina native is back with his previously leaked, now officially mastered debut single Lights Please. While a bass-thumping beat from producer The Jam bumps in the background, J Cole shows that he’s just as comfortable spitting sexual obscenities as he is dropping clever wordplay (his “She gave a ni**a mad brain, something like The Wiz” line had me laughing out loud). Fans will have to wait a while to find out if that kind of versatility behind the mic will translate into sales. J Cole’s as-yet untitled debut album is currently slated to drop next summer as part of Hova’s new Roc Nation movement.
Written by Nathan S. on 10/1/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)