In a genre filled with musclebound toughs, J The S might not seem like the most intimidating physical presence. As Joe Higgs cautioned us in 1967’s Steppin’ Razor, however, appearances can be deceiving: “I’m like a steppin’ Razor, don’t you watch my size / I’m dangerous, I’m dangerous.” On the lead single off his Booth-presented freshman set, making its world premiere right here in the Booth, the Boston native gives fair warning of what awaits those who tangle with him—whether in a scuffle or (especially) on the mic. With J. Cardim‘s beat, a whip-ready blend of slow-rolling percussion and swirling synths, banging in the back, Jake makes clear that he’s a mortal danger to any who would stand in his way: “Tryin’ me, that’s like stealin’ meat from the lion’s teeth.” As if the headliner’s aggressive rhymes weren’t enough, Styles P. grabs the mic to showcase his own talent for tough-talk on a middle verse that’s harder-nosed than an Easter Island statue, and singer P-Dub tops the record off with a chorus inspired by the reggae classic mentioned above. So, readers, has this cut left you convinced of J The S’ prowess? More bangers await on debut set The Last Days, set to hit our front page Jan. 18.
Written by richard on 12/14/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Do You ft. ft. Joell Ortiz & Lee Wilson" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.