In a genre filled with musclebound toughs, J The S might not seem like the most intimidating physical presence. As Joe Higgs cautioned us in 1967’s Steppin’ Razor, however, appearances can be deceiving: “I’m like a steppin’ Razor, don’t you watch my size / I’m dangerous, I’m dangerous.” On the lead single off his Booth-presented freshman set, making its world premiere right here in the Booth, the Boston native gives fair warning of what awaits those who tangle with him—whether in a scuffle or (especially) on the mic. With J. Cardim‘s beat, a whip-ready blend of slow-rolling percussion and swirling synths, banging in the back, Jake makes clear that he’s a mortal danger to any who would stand in his way: “Tryin’ me, that’s like stealin’ meat from the lion’s teeth.” As if the headliner’s aggressive rhymes weren’t enough, Styles P. grabs the mic to showcase his own talent for tough-talk on a middle verse that’s harder-nosed than an Easter Island statue, and singer P-Dub tops the record off with a chorus inspired by the reggae classic mentioned above. So, readers, has this cut left you convinced of J The S’ prowess? More bangers await on debut set The Last Days, set to hit our front page Jan. 18.
Written by richard on 12/14/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Do You ft. ft. Joell Ortiz & Lee Wilson" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.