On the newest single off his recently-released My Will mixtape, Boston’s J The S sets his sights on the substance that made “Arab Money” synonymous with big bucks – I’m talking, of course, about Oil. Addressing the backdoor dealings that fueled eight long years of disastrous foreign policy decisions, Jake and Booth favorite Saigon spit scathing indictments of our former administration. It’s heavy subject matter, but GoodWill & MGI‘s hard-hitting, bass-heavy beat, along with Brooklynn singer Rich Rivera‘s hook help to make this cut appealing to listeners who normally shy away from politically-motivated music. Despite inspired performances from all three collaborators, Oil may suffer from being a little late to the party; though the criticisms it levels are legitimate (well, except for the part about the Illuminati), the Obama Presidency seems to have swung the musical pendulum towards forward-looking optimism. Could this cut be too much of a downer for the current political climate?
Written by richard on 01/29/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Do You ft. ft. Joell Ortiz & Lee Wilson" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Madison | LST ft. Kiah Victoria - The World
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- DJ Drama ft. Young Jeezy, Young Thug & Rich Homie Quan - Right Back
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.