On the newest single off his recently-released My Will mixtape, Boston’s J The S sets his sights on the substance that made “Arab Money” synonymous with big bucks – I’m talking, of course, about Oil. Addressing the backdoor dealings that fueled eight long years of disastrous foreign policy decisions, Jake and Booth favorite Saigon spit scathing indictments of our former administration. It’s heavy subject matter, but GoodWill & MGI‘s hard-hitting, bass-heavy beat, along with Brooklynn singer Rich Rivera‘s hook help to make this cut appealing to listeners who normally shy away from politically-motivated music. Despite inspired performances from all three collaborators, Oil may suffer from being a little late to the party; though the criticisms it levels are legitimate (well, except for the part about the Illuminati), the Obama Presidency seems to have swung the musical pendulum towards forward-looking optimism. Could this cut be too much of a downer for the current political climate?
Written by richard on 01/29/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Do You ft. ft. Joell Ortiz & Lee Wilson" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)