On a newly-released mixtape record, unsigned emcee J The S has a message for critics, haters, and skeptics of all stripes: “I’m gonna do My Thing.” As the Boston native explains in the course of the cut, Jake’s thing, consists of speaking his mind in the dopest manner possible, following his own unique artistic vision rather than the prevailing trends, and, of course, getting that money. Echoing his sentiments are fellow rappers on the rise Donny Goines and Emilio Rojas, each of whom gives his own take on the track’s individualistic philosophy. Goines definitely does his thing, delivering a victorious verse rich in wordplay, but Rojas’ contribution on the back end is My Thing’s high point; his relaxed yet emphatic flow is the perfect counterpoint to The Returners’ mellow production, and his autobiographical verse speeds the record to its climax with plenty of panache. My Thing is set for inclusion on J The S’s My Will mixtape, which will be released sometime in January.
Written by richard on 01/1/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Do You ft. ft. Joell Ortiz & Lee Wilson" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.