For the first leak from his NewEnglandHipHop.com presented and DJ Motion hosted mixtape, The Jake The Snake Conspiracy, J The S gets loose over a bouncy DB Koopa beat on For The Taking, featuring REKS. Jake takes the first verse to discuss his hustle and dues paid while showing reverence for education - “before I pass a joint, probably pass a book.” The chorus portion of the song is more of a break between verses than it is a memorable hook, which allows the energy of the song to rest before rising again for the next emcee up to bat. REKS takes the second verse and does what he typically does – bodies the beat and dominates the track. Clocking in at 2:49, the song is shorter than usually and could’ve benefited from a back-and-forth style third verse between the two artists, but it still works. While Conspiracy is still awaiting a release date, J The S’s album, The Last Days, is set for a January 18 release through DJBooth.net and features artists like Styles P, Pill and Emilio Rojas.
Written by JC Poppe on 01/9/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Do You ft. ft. Joell Ortiz & Lee Wilson" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.