After hearing producers Franco & Snipe B repurpose a couple riffs from Smells Like Teen Spirit on J The S’ last Booth feature, I was half expecting the title track off the emcee’s forthcoming, IM King/2DopeBoyz/DJBooth-cosponsored mixtape to draw inspiration from Pink Floyd’s hit of the same name, but as it turns out, Wish You Were Here shares nothing more than a title with the ‘75 single. In reality, the newly-leaked cut (making its world premiere in the Booth!) is a wistfully nostalgic jam which finds the Boston representative giving fans a little insight into his life story, in the process paying tribute to a few family members who didn’t live to see him grow into a hip-hop superstar. Lion’s Share Music‘s sweeping boardwork, driven by slow-burning orchestral samples, sets a cinematic mood as Jake delivers densely-packed, autobiographical bars. A reflective, ear-pleasing track well-deserving of repeat spins, WYWH is just one of many fresh cuts set to appear on J The S’ latest street release, scheduled to hit our front page next Tuesday, March 9.
Written by richard on 03/4/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Do You ft. ft. Joell Ortiz & Lee Wilson" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.