E.S.G. may no longer have the cachet of a Bun B or Slim Thug, but he was one of the most influential artists on the H-town scene, helping to popularize the chopped-n-screwed style that would become his hometown’s trademark. Thus, the industry veteran’s name sounds right at home among the hip-hop greats celebrated on Booth fave J NiCS’ latest project, a Tribute to the Southern pioneers who laid the groundwork for the up-and-coming rhymesayer’s sound and style. On newly-leaked standout cut Swangin’, the Floridian rhymesayer borrows the lushly-sampled Sean Jemisson production from ‘95 single Swangin’ & Bangin to back him as he offers fans a little insight into the formative experiences that made him who he is today—from the development of his spiritual beliefs (“I read my scriptures as a teenager”) to the loss of loved ones (“I still shed tears when I think about my little cousin…”). Has this introspective yet whip-ready freestyle piqued your interest? What are you waiting for—click here to stream and/or download the Booth-sponsored first half of NiCS’ Southern N*ggas Ain’t Slow mixtape series.
Written by richard on 11/21/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.