E.S.G. may no longer have the cachet of a Bun B or Slim Thug, but he was one of the most influential artists on the H-town scene, helping to popularize the chopped-n-screwed style that would become his hometown’s trademark. Thus, the industry veteran’s name sounds right at home among the hip-hop greats celebrated on Booth fave J NiCS’ latest project, a Tribute to the Southern pioneers who laid the groundwork for the up-and-coming rhymesayer’s sound and style. On newly-leaked standout cut Swangin’, the Floridian rhymesayer borrows the lushly-sampled Sean Jemisson production from ‘95 single Swangin’ & Bangin to back him as he offers fans a little insight into the formative experiences that made him who he is today—from the development of his spiritual beliefs (“I read my scriptures as a teenager”) to the loss of loved ones (“I still shed tears when I think about my little cousin…”). Has this introspective yet whip-ready freestyle piqued your interest? What are you waiting for—click here to stream and/or download the Booth-sponsored first half of NiCS’ Southern N*ggas Ain’t Slow mixtape series.
Written by richard on 11/21/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)