A standout track off J NiCS‘s 2011 Champion Rizla street album, Last Time could hardly be said to be broke, but why leave well enough alone when the alternative is a dope remix? To coincide with a new interview with AshleyOutrageous.com in which he details his big plans for 2012, Numonics has released a radical reimagining of the record, his first collaboration with the Miami rhymesayer (a performer on DJBooth’s A3C stage last fall). And I do mean radical—where the original version of the cut saw the buzzmaking South Florida producer backing NICS’ chronicle of the hustle with a gritty but understated mix of burbling synths and laid-back percussion, this rendition finds him amping up the atmosphere with with bluesy guitar riffs and organ chords. The result imbues the emcee’s meditations on life and death in the streets with an extra emotional punch. Champion Rizla is still available in the Booth for free streaming and download, as is NICS’ more recent Southern N*ggas Ain’t Slow: The Tribute. Fans of Numonics can look forward to Booth-sponsored projects with NICS, REKS, Co$$, Dynas, Knowledge Medina, J57 and more over the course of the year.
Written by richard on 01/30/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.