On his first Booth feature, Nothing Without Providence, Mr. J Madeiros resolved to march to the beat of his own drummer, never bending to the will of any man. Women? Well, that’s another story – as the Los Angeles underground mainstay so eloquently illustrates on new single Neon Signs, when certain females exercise their wiles, one has no choice but to follow where they lead. As on the aforementioned cut, The Stare (the artist’s own production crew) man the boards; over their understated yet driving keyboard-breakbeat arrangement, Mr. J spits in typically poetic style about a girl who pulls him in every time – years after he first encountered her in his youth (“I was 21, just a loaded gun…”), he finds himself back in her arms again, acknowledging his helplessness while admitting that she makes him “feel alive.” Stro, a fellow Procussions alum, assists on the guest tip, completing the picture with a smooth yet emotionally-charged hook. Has this chilly, contemplative selection made a Madeiros fan of you? If so – or if you were a devotee from the jump – then you won’t want to miss his Saudade LP when it hits the stores on June 14.
Written by richard on 05/15/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Nothing Without Providence" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.